I haven’t really figured out copyright law, so I guess I can’t throw out any tab or note-for-stuff. I hope this helps. In some ways figuring out the song from a basic framework may allow you to improve your ear and in the end gain a better feel for the intentions of the artist.
There are a few main sections to the song.
- Chorus -the famous riff- it’s four power chords.
- Verse -the mellow two note riff.
- Bridge – where hey yells “hey”
- Also there’s the solo which is basically the melody to the song played on guitar. Don’t teach the solo here, yet!
Main riff – chorus
First time: 0:02 minutes in video
It’s four power chords. F, Bb, Ab, Db.
- 6th string, 1st fret
- 5th string, 1st fret
- 6th string, 4th fret
- 5th string, 4th fret
I would just play along with the recording to get the feel! Or check out Transcribe!
Two note riff – verse
First time: 0:27 minutes in video
The two note riff is C to F. You can play it on the first fret, 2nd string then 1st string but Kurt plays it up:
- 3rd string, 5th fret
- 2nd string, 6th fret
First time: 1:27 minutes in video
- Two power chords – F and Gb – 6th string, 1st fret to 6th string, 2nd fret
- When he yells ‘hey’, bend B up to C more or less. B is the 3rd string, 4th fret
Here’s the movie:
Hope this helps!
There’s plenty of places to get tab and stuff. But give your ear a chance! And if you do get tab, still slow down the song so you can get real locked in with what they are really doing!