Just started learning songs by listening, singing, and then playing them (on guitar). I have done this in the past, but accidentally.
I always would skip the singing part and go right to learning the song by playing it on my guitar. But I would slow down the tape and discover each of the notes. It did help but singing the tune first helps.
I am still using Transcribe! and slowing down the tune. Also, I am shifting some songs down so that the melody will be comfortably in my range.
I got the idea from JazzAdvice.com – “How to Completely Learn a Melody in 30 Minutes”.
Here’s the main idea:
- Listening to the song/melody many times while driving, cooking, etc.
- Listen and Sing
- Listen to small segments of the melody.
- Sing with the melodic fragment.
- Then sing fragment on your own.
- Sing each of the intervals slowly. Try to identify each interval.
- Play the melodic fragment on your instrument
- Repeat and review